To freeze whole fish, like mackerel or trout, stuff the body cavity with a small roll of foil so that the fish stays a good shape. Remove the foil, stuff the fish (if required) and cook straight from frozen.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 25 g utter or margarine
- 100 g frozen chopped spinach
- 100 g fresh brown breadcrumbs
- 50 g flaked almonds, roughly chopped
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 medium trout, cleaned, washed and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- lime twists
- dill sprigs
- Cook the onion in the butter or margarine until soft.
- Cover the spinach with boiling water, boil for 2 minutes, drain and squeeze dry.
- Mix together the onion, spinach, breadcrumbs, almonds , grated lemon rind, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Combine this stuffing with the egg. Divide into four and use to fill the cavity in each fish.
- Place the fish in a shallow ovenproof dish, brush with the oil and bake in a moderately hot oven for 20-25 minutes or until the flesh flakes easily.
- Serve immediately, garnished with lime twists and fresh dill.