Use a heavy pestle and mortar to grind whole spices; use as curry powder.
- 1 apple
- 1 large carrot
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp oil
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1.15 liters beef stock
- 1 tbsp chutney
- 50 g sultanas
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- A few coriander sprigs to garnish
1. Dice the apple, carrot and onions. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the apple and vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the flour and curry powder.
3. Gradually pour in the stock , bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer together for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Blend the soup in a liquidizer until smooth , then return it to the pan to reheat. Taste the soup, adjusting seasoning if necessary, and add a little extra sugar or lemon juice if required.
5. Garnish with coriander sprigs.