Loaded with sweet potatoes, peppers, and onions, this plant-based breakfast burrito makes uses tofu as a filling and is extra-tasty and packed with nutrients.
Recipe by Forks over Knives
- 1 cup peeled and finely chopped sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried basil, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 9- to 10- inch whole grain flour tortillas
How To Prepare
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large skillet, cook the sweet potato, onion, and sweet pepper over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add basil, turmeric, garlic, and thyme and cook and stir for 1 minute or until garlic is softened. Stir in the tofu and yeast, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Spread the mixture into a non-stick 15×10-inch baking pan. Bake 35 minutes or until tofu is lightly browned, turning occasionally.
- Spoon the tofu mixture and salsa onto each tortilla, just below the center. Fold the bottom edge of the tortilla over the filling. Fold in opposite sides and roll up the tortilla.
- For more Mexican flavor, add some sliced tomato, onion, and avocado along with a few drops of hot sauce before rolling the burritos.