Served warm, this dreamy, creamy cracker dip combines Swiss and cream cheeses with bacon, green onions, and mayo.
- 350g / 12 oz bacon, chopped
- 250g/8oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream (preferably full fat)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or sub with onion powder)
- 1 cup shredded tasty or cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or sub with other melting cheese)
- 1 cup shallots / scallions, chopped (~4 — 5 stalks)
Bread bowl & topping:
- 1 round cob bread (sourdough works best)
- 5 Jatz / Ritz or other plain savoury cracker, crushed
- Oil spray
- Cook bacon in a non stick skillet / fry pan over high heat until browned. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.
2. Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream and garlic powder together in a heat proof bowl.
3. Stir through most of the bacon, all the cheese and most of the shallots. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Mix well.
4. If serving as is, pour into a serving bowl, top with remaining bacon and shallots. Serve with crackers, chips and bread.
5. For bread bowl: Use a small knife to cut a circle on the top of the cob loaf then remove enough bread to make a bowl. Pour the dip into the bowl. Top with crushed crackers, spray with oil. Bake for 20 minutes at 180C/350F until top is golden. Top with remaining bacon and shallots. Serve warm.