Any citrus fruits or combination of fruits can be used. Substitute 3 limes for the lemons. An orange and lemon mix is delicious , substitute an orange for one of the lemons. When using larger fruit, such as grapefruit use 1 tablespoon of grated rind and reduce the water. This is a great accompaniment to a Samsa with Chicken dish.
- ¾ quantity short crust pastry
- Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 25 g corn flour
- 300 ml water
- 25 g butter
- 75 g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 100 g caster sugar
- Glacé cherries and angelica to decorate
1. Make the short crust, rollout to line a 20 cm/ 8 inch flan ring placed on a baking tray. Prick with a fork and bake blind in a moderately hot oven for 15 minutes.
2. Put the lemon rind juice in a saucepan with the corn flour, add the water and bring slowly to the boil and cook for2 minutes, stirring all the time.
3. Remove from the heat and add the butter and sugar.
4. Cool slightly, then stir in the egg yolks and spoon into the flan case.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry, gradually whisk in the sugar.
6. Pipe or spoon the meringue over the lemon filling.
7. Bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes and serve decorated with pieces of cherry and angelica.