- 1 quantity shortcrust pastry
- beaten egg to glaze
- 225 g braising steak
- 1 potato
- 1 onion
- 225 g swede
- 2 tbsp beef stock
- salt and pepper
- Make the shortcrust pastry and chill while preparing the filling.
- Cut the meat and potato into small cubes .
- Chop the onion and swede.
- Mix the meat and vegetables with the stock and season generously.
- Grease a baking tray. Divide the pastry into 4 pieces and roll each piece out to a 15 cm/6 inch circle.
- Divide the meat mixture between the pastry circles and dampen the edges with water.
- Bring the edges together over the middle of the filling and seal , making a fluted pattern with your fingertips , to form an enclosed pasty.
- Place on the baking tray and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for 1 hour.
- Serve hot or cold, with a salad and pickles.