A skillet full of Mexican flavour, crispy wedges topped with Mexican Taco beef mince, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and whatever else your heart desires! Smokey Mexican Beef Wedges are a huge family hit over here!
Cooking time: 1hr 15minutes
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium potatoes, or 5 large, scrubbed and washed (leave skin on)
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper / bell capsicum, diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 pound (500 grams) ground beef mince
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup beef broth or stock (or 1/4 cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon Vegeta or beef stock powder)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Serve (Optional):
- 2 green onion/scallions, finely sliced
- ¼ fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Sour Cream
- Tomato Salsa OR Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- diced tomatoes
- shredded cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella cheese, Mexican cheese blend, etc
How To Prepare
Preheat oven to 400°F | 200°C. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or tray with non-stick cooking oil spray. Set aside.
On a chopping board, cut each potato in half lengthways, then cut each half in half again, and then each piece in half again so you end up with 8 wedges. Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet or tray.
Combine paprika, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour over the oil/spices mix and toss the wedges well with your hands.
Season with salt and bake for 45 minutes until tender and crisp.
While the wedges are baking, make your Taco meat:
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the onion ad red peppers / capsicum until onion is transparent. Add in the garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant (a further minute or so).
Add the meat, paprika and cumin. Cook while breaking up the meat with the end of your spoon, mixing all of the flavours together, until the meat is browned. Season with salt and pepper.
Once the wedges are done, spoon the Taco meat over them and serve immediately with any of the following optional toppings: green onion/scallions, fresh coriander, a dollop of sour cream, tomato salsa OR sweet chilli sauce, avocado, tomatoes and cheese.