This dish has very tricky origin. Have you ever heard the word «Peranakan»? This is the name of the inhabitants of Indonesia, ethnic Chinese, who a long time assimilated on the Sunda Islands and don’t even speak Chinese. They have one more beautiful name — «baba-nyanya».
So, Singaporean dish kari debal was initially created under the influence of two cuisines: Peranakan and Portuguese. It is especially popular in «Euro-Asian» Singaporean families. There it is also regularly cooked for Catholic Christmas. The variety of recipes is about the same. «Devil» curry is called, of course, in connection with the amount of chili pepper.
List of required products:
- a chicken weighing approximately 1 kg;
- 400 g chicken sausages;
- 400 g of short pork ribs;
- half a head of Chinese cabbage;
- 5 medium potatoes;
- 1 long-bodied cucumber;
- 2 large onions;
- 6-8 cm of fresh ginger root;
- 3 tbsp. of light soy sauce;
- 3-4 tbsp. rice vinegar;
- vegetable oil;
- 2 to 15 dried chili peppers, according to your taste;
- 1/2 tbsp. mustard powder;
- freshly ground white pepper.
Begin to cook
- Dry the chicken and cut it into small portions. Put in a bowl, pour with soy sauce, season with white pepper, mix, cover and leave for 30-50 minutes.
- 1 large onion is peeled and cut as small parts as it is possible. Ginger is cleaned and grated.
- Put the dry chili peppers into a large mortar and turn them into powder. Add the chopped onion and ginger to the mortar, pour the mustard powder and put everything together.
- The remaining onion is cleaned and cut into thin half rings. Ribs are cut into pieces on 1 edge. Rub with salt and pepper.
- Into the wok pour the vegetable oil, heat on medium heat, put onions with chopped onion, fry until golden brown for about 7-8 minutes. Add the pasta from onions, ginger and chili, fry, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Put the ribs in the wok, stir well, pour with hot water (about 1.5 cups) and stew under the lid until the meat is soft on the ribs. As a rule it takes about 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, fry pieces of chicken in a frying pan in vegetable oil until ruddy crust on all sides and remove from heat.
- Peel potatoes and cut them in small slices. Remove the cabbage stem from the cabbage, cut the leaves into very large parts. Cucumber is cleaned, peeled and cut along into 4 parts. After that remove the seeds, cut across pieces of length 7-8 cm. Sausages are cut each into 3 pieces.
- Put the potatoes to the ribs, pour in some more water. Stew almost until potatoes are ready. As a rule it takes 10 min. Put the chicken inside. Mix carefully and cook under the lid for 10 minutes.
- Add sausages and cucumber, cook for 5 minutes. Put cabbage, pour in the vinegar and salt. Increase the heat and cook, stirring for 1 min.
By the way
Of course, the amount of chili in this dish depends only on your love for the spicy dish. Mustard powder is best prepared independently from whole mustard seeds, pre-fried in a dry frying pan.