Cheese and potatoes are popular partners. Try this updated version of a traditional Swiss idea.
Heat an easily melted type of cheese and serve it on boiled potatoes, with pickled cucumbers as a complete meal. I use New Zealand-made Raclette cheese which has the texture and aroma, when heated, of cheese used to make Raclette in Switzerland.
I heat slices of this cheese in small shallow microwave dishes until soft and bubbly at the edges. Use amounts to suit yourself.
I sometimes boil the potatoes conventionally or microwave them before the cheese.
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) potatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml/4 fl oz ) water for new potatoes,
- 1/4 cup (60 ml/2 fl oz) for main-crop potatoes
[ads — pc — 1]
[ads — mob — 1]
- Cut scrubbed, scraped or peeled potatoes into even-sized pieces. (smaller pieces cook more quickly).
- Microwave at full power in a covered dish with water ( ration according to new or main-crop potato type), 6-8 minutes.
- Allow 2-3 minutes standing time. (if potatoes shrivel they have been overcooked)
Cook more potatoes and more cheese than you think you will need as they are very popular! Heat cheese in a hot oven or under a grill if preferred.