Eggs are just not necessary to make crispy, golden french toast! Top slices of our plant-based version with your favorite berries and be sure to drizzle the Vanilla Cashew Cream for added decadence over the weekend!
Recipe by Chad Sarno
- 1/3 cup almond, cashew or peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy or other plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- One loaf of your favorite whole grain bread, or 8 slices
- Spray oil to coat the pan
- Fresh berries or other fruits to serve, Vanilla Cream (optional)
How To Prepare
- For batter: blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour the batter into a shallow casserole dish or bowl. Set aside.
- Slice the loaf of bread into eight thick slices. Dip the bread into the batter, making sure the batter coats the full slice.
- Place a flat pan or skillet on medium heat. Spray the pan lightly with high heat cooking oil. Use a ceramic non-stick pan if you prefer to omit the oil.
- Gently place the slices of battered bread into the pan, 2-4 at a time depending on the size of your cooking surface.
- Allow to cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Gently flip and cook the other side until lightly golden (approximately another 2-3 minutes). Remove and place on serving plates.
- For each plate serve 1 or 2 slices of French Toast, a mountain of berries or other fresh fruit and drizzle with maple syrup and/or Vanilla Cream (optional).
- For a more decadent version, try topping your French Toast with your favorite plant-based butter instead of plain maple syrup or Vanilla Cream and try a rustic French bread, sourdough, or baguette in place of the whole grain bread.
- To pack this dish with extra protein, try using seeded whole grain bread, top your French Toast with toasted nuts or seeds, or serve with a side of Tofu Scramble.