- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 50 g butter or margarine, melted
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 50 g Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Parsley sprig to garnish
- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly into vertical slices, leaving them attached at the base.
- Soak the potatoes in a bowl of water with lemon juice for 2 hours or until the potatoes have fanned out. Drain.
- Mix together the melted butter or margarine, the onion, garlic, if using, and seasoning.
- Place the potatoes in a baking tin, pour over the butter mixture and bake in a moderately hot oven for 50 minutes, basting occasionally.
- Sprinkle the Cheddar on each potato and bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp and golden.
- Serve immediately, garnished with a sprig of parsley.