Line the baking dish with foil and grease well. Pipe the pastry round the edge , then bake empty . Cool , lift out foil and freeze. To use , unpack, put in a dish, fill and heat in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- 300 ml water
- 100 g butter or margarine
- 175 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 50 g Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 quantity white sauce
- 225 g cooked chicken , diced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of mustard powder
- 2 tsp tarragon
- salt and pepper
- Place the water in a pan with the fat, heat gently until melted then bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the flour and salt and beat quickly to form a smooth paste which comes away from the sides of the pan to form a ball.
- Cool slightly then gradually beat in the eggs to give a smooth glossy mixture.
- Fold in the grated Gruyere. Spoon or pipe the mixture around the sides of a buttered oval ovenproof dish.
- Mix together all the filling ingredients and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Pour into the centre of the dish and bake in a moderately hot oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve the gougere hot, sprinkled with paprika.