This beautifully coloured, rich, creamy soup is made from everyday ingredients!
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 rasher bacon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 medium-sized potatoes (300 g/10 1/2 oz)
- 2 cups (500 ml/16 fl oz) water
- 1 1/2 tsp instant chicken stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3-4 mint sprigs
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup (125 ml/4 fl oz) cream
[ads — pc — 1]
[ads — mob — 1]
- Chop the onion, garlic and bacon and cook gently in the butter in a medium to large saucepan without allowing it to brown.
- Scrub and cube the potatoes.
- Add the onion, cover and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, chicken stock, sugar and the mint.
- Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooked vegetables if desired.
- Puree soup in a blender or food processor, adding 1/2 cup cream.
- Reheat if necessary, without boiling, adding reserved vegetables for garnish if required.