To skin fish fillets, place skin side down on a board. Rub salt on your fingers to hold the tail end. With a sharp knife cut at an acute angle , using a sawing motion between the flesh and skin.
- 675 g haddock fillets
- 6 tbsp water
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 50 g butter
- 40 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 50 g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 100 g plain flour
- 50 g jumbo oats
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- knob of butter
- dill sprig to garnish
- Put the haddock , water and seasoning in a pan.
- Cover and poach for 5 minutes.
- Reserve any liquor and flake the fish, discarding skin.
- Fry onion in butter for 3 minutes, then add the flour.
- Gradually stir in the milk. Bring the sauce to boil, add the lemon juice , seasoning and strained fish liquor. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the cheese and fish to the sauce, then pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Rub the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs .
- Stir in oats , dill and seasoning .
- Spread on top of the fish.
- Dot with butter and bake in a moderately hot oven for 30 minutes or until the crumble is golden. Garnish with dill.