A recipe for the perfect honey glazed ham ! No dry slices here and it has such a delicious flavor. Everyone will be back for more!
- Put the gammon into a large saucepan and pour on enough cold water to cover. Add the carrots, leek, onion, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for 3 hours, topping up with more boiling water if necessary. Skim off the froth and any impurities that rise to the surface from time to time. If cooking in advance, leave the ham to cool in the stock overnight. Otherwise, allow it to cool a little, then remove from the pan. Strain the stock (and save for soups, sauces, etc.).
- To make the glaze, put the sugar, Madeira, sherry vinegar and honey into a pan and stir over a low heat. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 3–4 minutes, until you have a glossy dark syrup. Do not leave unattended, as it can easily boil over.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ° C / Gas 5. Lift the ham on a board. Snip and remove the string and then cut away the skin from the ham, leaving behind the even layer of fat. Lightly score the fat all in a criss-cross, diamond pattern, taking care not to cut into the meat. Stud the center of each diamond with a clove.
- Put the ham into a roasting tin and pour half of the glaze over the surface. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Pour on the rest of the glaze and return to the oven for another 25-35 minutes until the ham is golden brown, basting with the pan juices frequently. To make sure that the joint colors evenly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving with the accompaniments.