- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil or 25 g butter
- 175 g long grain rice
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 450 ml water
- 225 g smoked haddock
- 50 g raisins
- 50 g salted peanuts
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Cook the onion in the oil or butter until soft but not browned.
- Add the rice and tumeric , cook for a minute, then pour in the water.
- Bring to the boil , reduce the heat and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile , put the smoked haddock in a pan , cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with the point of a knife.
- Drain and coarsely flake the fish, discarding the skin and any bones.
- Add the fish , raisins , peanuts , eggs, lemon juice, seasoning and parsley to the rice.
- Fork together gently . Serve the kedgeree immeditely.