This flan, freshly baked or reheated, is a popular main course for lunch or dinner.
(for a 20-30 cm / 8-9 inch quiche)
- 1 uncooked pastry pie crust
- 3 (500 g/ 1 lb 2 oz) small leeks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml/4 fl oz) water
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (125 g/4 fl oz) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml/2 fl oz) milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Roll bought or home-made pastry thinly to line the flan tin or pie plate.
- Slice the carefully washed leeks into 5 mm (1/4 inch) pieces.
- Cook the leeks and the diced garlic in the butter for 2-3 minutes without browning, then add the water and cook until tender.
- Raise the heat and let the rest of the liquid evaporate.
- Beat the eggs, grated cheese, sour cream, milk and salt together.
- Remove the leeks from the heat then stir into the egg mixture.
- Pour filling carefully into prepared crust.
- Bake at 220 degrees Celsius (425F) for about 30 minutes or until the filling has set in the center.
- Sprinkle with chopped herbs and/or paprika before serving if desired.