- 225 g red lentils
- 600 ml boiling water
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 100 g fresh brown breadcrumbs
- 100 g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- halved hazelnuts to garnish
- Line a 1 kg/2 lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper, grease well.
- Cook the lentils in the boiling water for about 30 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed and the lentils are mushy , stir frequently towards the end of the cooking time.
- Cook the onion and garlic in the oil until soft .
- Mix with the lentils and remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- Pack the lentil mixture into the prepared tin, cover with a sheet of greaseproof paper and bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour.
- Serve garnished with hazelnuts.