To make the chocolate sauce in the microwave, put all the ingredients in a measuring jug and microwave on full power for 5 minutes, stirring once.
- 4 egg whites
- 225 g caster sugar
- 150 ml water
- 50 g sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Grease three baking trays thoroughly or line with non-stick baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and standing in peaks.
- Add the sugar; a tablespoon at a time, whisking continuously.
- Fit a piping bag with a large star nozzle and fill the bag with the meringue mixture.
- Pipe 36 rosettes on to the baking trays or spoon on if preferred.
- Bake in a very cool oven for 2 1/2 hours or until the meringues are crisp. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the chocolate sauce, put all the ingredients into a pan and heat very gently.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Spoon over the meringues just before serving.