If using fresh pineapple, cut off the leafy top and scoop out the inside. Fill the fruit shell with the ice-cream, replace the lid and freeze for about 1 hour before serving on a doily-lined cake stand.
- 450 g fresh or canned pineapple
- 50 g caster sugar
- 150 ml water
- 150 ml double or whipping cream
- 2 egg whites
- Blend the pineapple in a liquidizer or food processor until smooth. Dissolve the sugar in the water over a gentle heat. Add to the pineapple mixture .
- When cool, pour into a rigid plastic container and freeze for 1 hour or until half frozen.
- Turn out into a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- Whip the cream until stiff and fold into the pineapple mixture .
- Finally whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold in. Pour the ice cream back into the plastic container and freeze for 3 hours, whisking twice more during the freezing process to achieve a really smooth texture.