These toasted tortillas topped with flavorful black beans and fresh vegetables make a quick and delicious light meal.
Recipe by Forks over Knives
- 10 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons onion powder
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (¾ cup)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (½ cup)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely snipped
How To Prepare
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange tortillas in a single layer on baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the black beans, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, and ground cumin. Add ½ cup of water and cook over medium heat 10 minutes, adding additional water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, if needed to prevent sticking.
- Mash the bean mixture to reach the desired consistency, adding additional water if desired to make creamier. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, spread the tortillas with bean mixture, using ¼ cup for each tortilla. Top with lettuce, green onions, tomato, and cilantro.
- To spice things up, top the black bean tostadas with slices of fresh jalapeño just before serving.