Yield: serves 4
- 2 large or 4 small red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 small onions, (red or white) halved and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- fresh sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten, for brushing the pastry
- 12 tsp sour cream
- 4 large fresh eggs
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Set oven to 400F
- Mix together the pepper, onions, thyme and spics in a bowl. Add the olive oil and toss well so that everything is coated with the oil and spices.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, stirring and rearranging the veggies a few times so they don’t burn.
- Sprinkle the veggies with half the fresh herbs and set aside.
- Turn the oven up to 425. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it reaches a 12×12 inch square.
- Cut into four 6 inch squares. Transfer to two parchment or silpat lined baking sheets.
- Take a dul knife and score a little 1/4 inch frame around each square of pastry. Don’t cut all the way through. Prick the inside of the squares all over with the tines of a fork. Put back in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and brush all over with a beaten egg. Spread the inside of each square with 3 tsp of sour cream.
- Top each with some of the veggie mixture, spread it out evenly, leaving the borders free, and leaving a shallow depression in the center for the egg, which will go in later.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until rising and starting to brown.
- Remove and carefully crack in egg into the center of each galette.
- Put back into the oven for about 10 minutes until the egg is set.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and remaining herbs. Drizzle with some good olive oil and eat right away.