Enjoy the aromatic, sweet flavor of roasted butternut squash with this simple recipe that even includes help for cutting and peeling in addition to four different flavor options. Butternut squash has the loveliest mild and distinct flavor.
Cooking time: 50minutes
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
How To Prepare
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
Use a fork to prick holes in the skin of the butternut squash. Microwave for 3 minutes on high, then let cool until you can easily handle.
Peel, seed, and cut squash into 1-inch cubes.
Place squash into a large mixing bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Spread squash in an even layer onto a 18×13-inch baking sheet.
Roast in the 400 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, until squash is tender.
Easiest way to peel and cut a butternut squash:
- Use a fork to prick holes in the skin of the butternut squash. Microwave for 3 minutes on high, then let cool until you can easily handle.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the peel.
- Cut the butternut squash in half, lengthwise to split the butter nut squash open. Each piece will have the long, skinnier neck, and the bell shape at the bottom.
- Scrape out seeds from the bell portion and discard.
- Cut each piece to separate the neck from the bell.
- Dice the squash into 1-inch cubes
- Brown Sugar Roasted Butternut Squash: toss cubed squash with 3 tablespoons melted butter, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash: toss cubed squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash:add 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary to this recipe, or 2 teaspoons dried