Get our meatball recipe here. Slow cooked, minced beef with a gorgeous tomato sauce and melted cheese, all encased within a soft bun — or serve them with spaghetti!
- Heat your oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with foil.
- While the oven is heating up, start the meatballs. Peel and finely chop the onion then peel and crush the garlic in a garlic crusher.
- Roughly chop the parsley with a large knife or in a mug with a pair of scissors.
- Chop the crusts off the bread then put it into a bowl and pour over the milk. Wait for a couple of minutes for the bread to soak up the milk.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl or mug and beat with a fork or whisk. Remember to wash your hands if you get any raw egg on your fingers.
- Put the mince in a large bowl and add the crushed garlic, chopped onion, beaten egg, chopped parsley, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, the dried oregano, salt and pepper and the soaked bread.
- With clean hands, mix all the ingredients together until well combined.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into 18 golf ball-sized meatballs. Put them on your lined baking tray. Always wash your hands when you’ve been handling raw meat.
- Put the tray into the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked all the way through (cut one in half after 20 minutes and if there is any pink inside, return them to the oven for another 5 minutes).
- While the meatballs are cooking, make the tomato sauce. Finely chop the onion and peel and crush the garlic clove in a garlic crusher.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and the chopped tomatoes. Put the lid on and leave to bubble for about 10 to 15 minutes, until it has thickened up a little.
- While the sauce is cooking, chop the parsley and basil leaves with a large knife or in a mug with a pair of scissors.
- When the sauce has thickened, stir in the parsley and basil and take off the heat.
- Grate the Cheddar cheese, being careful not to grate your fingers!
- When the meatballs come out of the oven, put them into the tomato sauce and carefully stir them until they are coated all over.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Split the sub rolls down the middle, keeping them attached along one edge, and put 3 meatballs into each one. Spoon over some of the tomato sauce and sprinkle over the grated Cheddar.
- Put the rolls on to a baking tray and put them under the hot grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese melts.