A tasty plant-based alternative to regular cheesy nachos made with our delicious Sweet Potato Queso! This dish is hearty enough to be a meal and a total crowd pleaser. Serve with our Classic Sour Cream for the full experience!
Recipe by Chad Sarno
Cooking time:40 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb or 4 cups baby red russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 4 plant-based sausages, halved and roughly chopped
- ½ white onion, small diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup Sweet Potato Queso, warmed (see recipe)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- ¼ cup jarred jalapeños
- ½ cup plant-based sour cream (see Classic Sour Cream recipe or choose your favorite store-bought option)
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
How To Prepare
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC for roasting the potatoes later.
- Clean the potatoes well. Place the potatoes in a seasoned pot of water, turn on heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes until fork tender (about 12-15 minutes), strain and rinse.
- Place the chopped plant sausages into a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
- Warm a large pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of the oil if cooking with oil (otherwise you can use a little water). Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until slightly softened and translucent. Add in the ground sausage and sauté for several minutes more, allowing the crumble to crisp up. Remove from heat.
- Using a teaspoon of the olive oil, drizzle on a sheet pan, coating the pan thoroughly (optional). Evenly space the potatoes out on the seasoned sheet pan and, using a potato masher with some pressure, press each potato, smashing it slightly flat. Repeat with all the potatoes. Spray or lightly drizzle the remaining olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle each with sea salt (optional). Place in oven.
- Continue to roast for 15-20 minutes and remove the potatoes from oven once crispy.
- Place half of the warm potatoes onto a serving platter or bowl, topping with ½ cup of the warmed Sweet Potato Queso, 1/2 the sausage crumble, and 1/2 the black beans. Add the rest of the potatoes to the platter, drizzling remaining ½ of the Queso, beans, and crumble. Finish with tomato, green onions, jalapeños, plant-based sour cream and cilantro garnish.
- Serve immediately to all your friends!
- For an even more indulgent version of this dish, try using sweet potatoes or roasted potato wedges instead of baby potatoes — or get crazy with tater tots! Cover the smashed potatoes with your favorite vegan cheese while roasting. Load these up with fresh and/or pickled jalapenos.