Bread and butter pudding is a good dish in which to use up stale bread. Whole meal bread can also be used.
- 50 g butter
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 100 g mixed dried fruit
- 50 g demerera sugar
- 600 ml milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- grated nutmeg and demerera sugar to sprinkle on the top.
- Butter each slice of bread generously and cut into four squares.
- Place a layer of bread over the base of a 1.5 liter/2 1/2 pint ovenproof dish, overlapping the slices. Sprinkle with mixed fruit and continue to make alternate layers of bread and fruit.
- Dissolve the sugar in the milk over a low heat . Remove from the heat, gradually add the egg and mixed spice.
- Whisk thoroughly . Pour the mixture over the bread and fruit mixture and leave to soak for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with nutmeg and bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with sugar and serve immediately.