- 3 mangos, peeled and diced (1½ cup diced)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (green part only)
- 5 large basil leaves, julienned
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb. medium (32) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- ½-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ lime, zested
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
To serve: iceberg lettuce leaves
Combine all the ingredients together and keep covered in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, combine jalapenos, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, lime zest, coconut milk, basil, vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread onto skewers*.
- Preheat the grill on medium-high and oil the grates. Place the shrimp on a hot grill, cover and cook for 1½ — 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp is opaque.
- You can also grill the shrimp in a grilling basket (without skewering) for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly during cooking. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To serve: top each lettuce leaf with shrimp and salsa. Eat immediately. Serves 4 (2 lettuce wraps per person).