If you do not have a flan ring, then use a loose bottomed flan tin or cake tin to cook the shortbread.
- 100 g butter
- 175 g plain flour
- 50 g caster sugar
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 150 ml double or whipping cream
- 225 g strawberries, halved
1. Grease a 20 cm/8 inch fluted flan ring and a baking tray.
2. Rub the butter into the flour . Add the sugar and orange rind, knead the mixture together until it forms a soft dough.
3. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and roll to a circle large enough to fill the flan ring. Place in the flan ring on the baking tray, press into the fluted edges and smooth the top.
4. Prick all over with a fork and mark into eight equal portions.
5. Bake in a moderate oven for 45-50 minutes. Leave the shortbread to cool in the flan ring for 10 minutes then cut into eight.
6. Whip the cream until stiff. Spoon or pipe the cream on to four pieces of shortbread, add the strawberries to the cream and top with a second piece of shortbread.