Whether you’re looking to add more protein to breakfasts, sandwiches or wraps or simply want a nutrient dense snack, this tempeh bacon is a great smoky, salty and sweet addition. This recipe goes well with the Avocado BLT Toast.
- 2 – 8oz packages of tempeh
- 3 tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Parchment paper
How To Prepare
- In small mixing bowl, add the tamari, miso, maple, rice vinegar, and smoked paprika and whisk well.
- Slice the tempeh into long strips, about 10-12 for each block of tempeh used.
- Place the tempeh in shallow dish and pour over the marinade. Allow to sit for at least an hour to marinate. Note: the longer this sits in the marinate the better the flavors will be and absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF/160ºC
- On parchment paper, lay out each piece of marinated tempeh. Place in the oven and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh, turn gently and brush on more of the marinade.
- Allow to bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and once cooled store in a sealed container. For added flavor, store the baked tempeh in remaining marinade. Each time you want to use, warm in a saute pan and serve.
- In addition to being a high protein side, the tempeh bacon serves as an awesome ingredient to add a light smoky and salty bacon flavor to other dishes, wraps and sandwiches.
- For different variations, get creative in the kitchen and try swapping out the tempeh for some ‘bacon-ized’ tofu, thinly sliced seitan, carrots, eggplant or mushrooms.