Freshly grated nutmeg gives a superior flavor to that which is bought ready grated . Miniature nutmeg graters often have a small compartment in the top to store a whole nutmeg.
- 100 g butter or margarine
- 100 g light soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 225 g plain wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 bananas, peeled and chopped
- 100 g chopped walnuts
- soft brown sugar to decorate
1. Line and grease a deep 18 cm/7 inch round cake tin .
2. Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs. Fold in the flour, baking powder and nutmeg. Carefully fold in the bananas and walnuts.
4. Spoon into the prepared tin, level the top and bake in a moderate oven for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean .
5. Turn out on to a wire rack, sprinkle the top with soft brown sugar and leave to cool.