Use a food processor, fitted with a coarse grating disc, to prepare the carrots. Halve any large ones to fit into the feed tube and pack the tube nearly for speed and efficiency.
- 225 g butter or margarine
- 225 g soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 225 g self raising flour, sifted
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 350 g carrots, coarsely grated
- 225 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 50 g walnut halves to decorate
1. Line and grease a deep 20 cm/8 inch round cake tin.
2. Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little of the flour to prevent curdling .
4. Fold in the remaining flour , salt and spices.
5. Fold in the grated carrot and spoon into the prepared cake tin.
6. Level the top and bake in a moderate oven for 1 ½ hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
7. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Beat the icing ingredients together until smooth, pour over the cake and decorate with walnuts, chopping some to form a border as shown.