This simple moist, soft chocolate cake has no butter, no eggs, no milk in it except for the frosting which uses little butter & milk. This cake is made with almost very basic ingredients and is popularly known as wacky cake or depression cake.
Preparation time: 15minutes
Cooking time: 30minutes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour or organic maida or wheat flour (180 grams)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (use good quality cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda (check expiry date)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup sugar (organic, or 1.5 cups grated jaggery)
- 1 cup Water (use milk to make rich cake)
- 1/3 cup oil or 80 ml (coconut or canola or light olive oil or melted butter)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar or plain vinegar, use good quality)
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract (or vanilla powder or essence as needed)
For the chocolate sauce (Frosting 1 – method 1)
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 to 6 tablespoon sugar (or powdered jaggery as needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
or For chocolate buttercream frosting (Frosting 2 – method 2)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (soft but cold)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (good quality)
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (or icing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 2 ½ tablespoons milk (or whipping cream)
How To Prepare
Preheat the oven to 170 C or 340 F for at least 15 mins.
- Grease a 8 or 9 inch round cake pan & drizzle some flour on it. or Line with a parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix 1 ½ cups flour, ¼ cup cocoa powder, ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp baking soda.
- Sieve the flour mix at least twice to aerate the flour. This makes the cake light.
- If using wheat flour then sieve four times.
- Add 1 cup sugar and mix it well. I use fine sugar.
- If you are using coarse one then you can also dissolve it in 1 cup water (called for the recipe) and pour it in the next step.
How to make eggless chocolate cake
- Make a well (space) in the center. Pour 1 cup water, 1/3 cup oil or melted butter, 1 tbsp vanilla extract and 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar.
- Gently begin to mix well from the liquid ingredients in the center.
- Mix just until the flour is combined well with the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- The batter will be runny. Pour it to the cake pan.
- Knock it a few times against the kitchen counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 to 28 mins. Check after 23 mins. The bake time may vary depending on your pan size and oven. So Just bake it until a skewer or a tester inserted comes out clean.
- To check if it is completely baked, insert a skewer in the center of the cake and check. It must come out clean.
- Keep the cake pan on a wire rack and allow it to cool down for 8 to 10 mins in the pan.
- Invert eggless chocolate cake gently on a wire rack. Allow it to cool.
- You can frost the cake if you like or just sprinkle some powdered sugar.
- This eggless chocolate cake tastes best the next day.
Making chocolate sauce (Frosting 1)
- Mix together ¾ cup milk, 2 tbsps cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla extract & 4 to 6 tbsps sugar.
- The mixture must be lump free & smooth.
- Begin to cook on a low to medium heat stirring constantly until slightly thick & creamy.
- Taste it and add more sugar if needed & boil. Cool completely.
- Place the cake on a plate or a tray that can hold the excess dripping from chocolate sauce.
- Pour the chocolate frosting on the warm eggless chocolate cake.
- Spread with spatula. For step by step pics, please refer this RAGI CAKE.
OR Making frosting for eggless cake (Frosting 2)
- Ensure the butter is soft yet cold. When you press down the block of butter, it must dent easily yet hold shape without melting.
- Add butter to a large bowl and beat it until soft and fluffy. You can use a hand mixer or just a whisk.
- Place a sieve over the butter bowl. Add cocoa and powdered sugar to the sieve. Sieve it well.
- Pour vanilla and 2 tbsps milk or cream. Mix them up lightly.
- Then whisk or beat until everything turns smooth fluffy and light. It must be of spreadable consistency.
- If it is too thick, then add another half to 1 tbsp milk or cream. Beat well until it reaches a good consistency.
- Do not over beat else the butter begins to melt.
- If needed you can keep it in the fridge for a while.
- Spread a tbsp of frosting on your cake stand. Place 4 – 2 by 8 inch parchment paper strips across the four sides of the cake stand.
- Place the cake over these papers with the frosting beneath the cake.
- Scoop off a good amount of frosting to the cake. Begin to spread from the center and then towards the sides.
- Place the cake in the fridge for about 40 mins. Then smoothen the cake with a spatula. Remove the parchment papers gently.
- Eggless chocolate cake is ready. Slice & serve.