Milk tea and egg tartlets are part of the daily Hong Kong menu. In good tartlets the filling should be tender, not dry. The dough has to be thin and crumbling.
A real Hong Kong milk tea is certainly very strong, flavored, «silk» to the taste of a good condensed milk, but not too sweet.
List of required products:
- 200 g of flour;
- 100 g of butter;
- 50 g of sugar;
- 1 egg;
- a pinch of salt;
For milk tea
- 6 tsp. of Ceylon black tea;
- 6-12 tsp. condensed milk or 6 tbsp. of concentrated milk without sugar;
- good drinking water.
- 3 eggs;
- 90 g of sugar;
- 100 ml of soy or ordinary milk;
Begin to cook
- For the dough preparation you will have to cut the cold butter into small cubes. Sift the flour on a board, put the butter and chop the mixture with a knife to make a crumb.
- Add sugar, salt and slightly whisked egg, quickly knead a homogeneous dough and if it is necessary add a little bit of cold water.
- Divide the dough into balls with the size of a walnut and spread out on the molds for a basket of about 7 cm in diameter. Press so that it turned out to have not very thick bottoms and high sides. Cut off the dough excess. Often knead the dough with a fork. Put all the tartlets on the baking sheet.
- For the filling, melt sugar in 100 ml of water, mix with cold milk. Lightly whisk the eggs and add the milk-sugar mixture. Whisk all together just to uniformity and strain through a sieve to get rid of the egg parts.
- Pour the resulting mixture into prepared baskets of dough — almost to the top.
- Carefully place the baking tray with tartlets in a preheated oven to 160 ° C and bake for 18-20 minutes. Mind, that the filling should not dry out! The correct stuffing looks damp and shakes a little, when you move the tartlet.
- Allow the tartlets to cool completely and remove them from the molds.
- Prepare the tea, based on the ratio of 1 tsp. of tea leaves per 200 ml of water. Pour the tea leaves in a saucepan with cold drinking water, bring to a boiling condition over medium heat, reduce the heat to a minimum and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, after 1 minute return to the plate and bring to a boiling condition again.
- If you use concentrated milk, add sugar to taste and mix until it dissolves completely.
- Immediately after this, strain the tea into cups, add concentrated or condensed milk to taste and serve with tartlets.
By the way
In the original tea leaves are put in a linen bag and tied carefully. Then it is necessary to put them into a pan. And after that you can pour water. The specialists say that in this way you won’t need to filter the finished tea, but its taste is made cleaner and simultaneously more intense.