Delicious, rich & a perfect eggless cake to bake for occasions & celebrations. Black forest cake is a classic dessert made with several layers of chocolate sponge cake soaked with kirschwasser (cherry spirit), then sandwiched with whipped cream & cherries.
Preparation time: 40minutes
Baking time: 25minutes
Recipe by SWASTHI
For the chocolate cake (makes two 6 inch cakes)
- 1½ cups flour (wheat or all-purpose flour)
- ¼ cup cocoa (good quality)
- 1 tsp baking soda (recheck expiry date)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup fine sugar or sugar powdered
- 1 cup milk or water (at room temperature, refer notes)
- 1/3 cup oil (I used virgin coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped cherries(fresh or maraschino)
- 2 tbsp sugar (skip if making cherry syrup)
- 4 to 5 tbsp water
- 1½ cups whipping cream chilled (36% fat or above)
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar or confectioners sugar (refer notes)
Ingredients for decorating
- 6 to 8 cherries (fresh or maraschino)
- 1 chocolate bar for chocolate shavings
How To Prepare
To make chocolate cake
- Grease & line two 6 inch cake pans or one 8 inch pan. Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
- Sieve together flour, salt, cocoa and baking soda to a mixing bowl. Mix up the sugar and make a well in the center.
- Pour oil, vinegar, vanilla and milk or water. Mix well until just combined and is free of lumps.
- Pour the batter to the cake pans and knock to the kitchen counter a few times.
- Bake the cake for – 20 mins if using two 6 inch pans. Bake for – 23 to 28 mins if using one 8 inch pan. When done tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake pan on a wire rack for 8 to 10 mins. Invert it on the rack and cool completely before frosting.
Making cherry syrup
- If using sugar syrup boil 2 tbsps of sugar in 4 to 5 tbsps of water until the sugar dissolves and comes to a rolling boil.
- Or add 3 tbsps water to chopped cherries and set aside for 45 to 50 mins.
- Strain the cherries and collect the syrup.
- Pat the cherries gently to remove excess juices.
To make chocolate shavings
- Keep the chocolate at room temperature for a while until it is easy to handle.
- Shave the chocolate bar using a fruit peeler. Keep it in the fridge until used.
- Chill a bowl & beaters for at least 2 hours to whip the cream. I also chill the cake for an hour.
- If made to a single 8 inch cake then cut it to 2 layers. I do not prefer to slice the cake so I bake in two 6 inch pans.
- Pour some cherry syrup or sugar syrup on each layer of the cake. Set this aside.
- Pour the whipping cream to the chilled bowl and begin to whip on a low speed then on medium speed until bubbly and slightly thick.
- Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks.
- Fit a pipping nozzle inside a piping bag or use a disposable plastic bag.
- Transfer half cup of whipped cream to the bag. Refrigerate until used.
- Do not handle the bag a lot else the cream will soften.
Decorating the cake
- Spread 1 tbsp whipped cream on the cake stand and place a cake layer over it.
- Then begin to spread some frosting over it. Spread chopped cherries over the cream.
- Next place another layer of cake and spread the frosting.
- Finish up on the top portion and sides as well.
- Refrigerate the cream and the cake too for 45 to 50 mins if the cream begins to turn soft.
- Lastly spread a generous amount of whipped cream to finish off.
- Cover the sides of the cake with the chocolate shavings.
- Then decorate the cake border using the piping bag.
- I made about 12 roses you can do as many as you like – big or small. You can make your own designs too.
- Place the chilled whole cherries on the roses and then fill up the gaps with chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate the eggless black forest cake until needed.