- 100 g butter or margarine
- 100 g dark soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 225 g plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Currants or raisins to decorate
1. Grease 2 baking trays.
2. Cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the syrup.
4. Stir in the flour and ginger.
5. Lightly knead the mixture on a floured surface then roll out to 5 mmm/ ¼ inches thick.
6. Cut out 14 gingerbread men/women.
7. Add raisins or currants to represent buttons, eyes, nose and mouth .
8. Transfer to the baking trays and bake in a moderate oven for 10 minutes or until firm and golden.
9. Cook on a wire rack.