You won’t want canned mushroom soup or beans in your green bean casserole after trying our recipe. Easy to make with fresh green beans…this casserole will be a hit over the holidays!
Cooking Time: 45minutes
For the beans:
- 1 pound (500 g) fresh green beans rinsed, trimmed and halved
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons butter (preferably reduced fat)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces (340 g) brown or cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cube beef bouillon crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black cracked pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (half and half or evaporated milk)
- 6 ounces (170 g) French’s fried onion rings divided
How To Prepare
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
Bring 2 quarts (litres) of salted water to the boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add beans and boil for about 5 minutes.
Drain in a colander and quickly immerse beans in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in wine (if using) and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
Sprinkle mushrooms with flour, mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and simmer for 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low, season with salt, pepper and crumbled bouillon. Stir in the cream or half and half. Cook until the soup thickens (about 4-5 minutes).
Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked green beans with half of the onions. Top with the remaining onions.
Bake until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.