To make jam and cream doughnuts, shape the unfilled dough into long doughnuts. Deep fry and roll in sugar. Split when cool and fill with jam and whipped cream.
- 450 g strong plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 50 g caster sugar
- 300 ml warm milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2-3 tbsp jam
- oil for deep frying
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl , then rub in the butter or margarine.
- Cream the yeast with 15 g / 1/2 oz of sugar.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour , pour in the warm milk and beaten eggs.
- Add the yeast, mix to a light dough, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 16 and shape into rounds.
- Place a small teaspoonful of jam in the center of each round and draw up the edges to form a ball, pinching the dough together to seal.
- Put into oiled tart-let tins to prove in a warm place for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the oil to 180 C/360 F.
- Deep fry the doughnuts for 3-5 minutes, drain on absorbent kitchen paper and roll in the remaining caster sugar.