These French Toast muffins are perfect for on-the-go hungry emergencies…or to sit and eat freshly baked out of the oven….or to have a stash in the refrigerator only to reheat and eat when you need them.
Recipe by Cafe Delites
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
French Toast Muffins:
- 8 slices sandwich bread (280 g | 101/2 oz)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups skim/low fat milk (or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or a Natural granulated sweetener to lower calories/carbs)
- Pinch of salt (optional — about 1/4 teaspoon))
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Extra lemon juice of 1/2 a lemon (optional)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries + 1/4 cup extra for the top
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
How To Prepare
Preheat your oven to 180C | 350F; line a 12-cup non-stick muffin tray with muffin liners ORspray with cooking oil spray; wipe over excess and set aside.
Combine cream cheese, 1 teaspoon sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; mix to combine.
Spread cream cheese mixture over 1 side of each slice of bread. Sandwich two slices together at a time and cut each sandwich into 1-inch cubes. (You should end up with 8 cups of cubed bread).
Whisk the eggs, milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, salt (if using) and vanilla together in a large shallow dish. Add the bread and mix it through the egg wash (using your hands is easier than a spoon), until all bread is thoroughly soaked. Drizzle extra lemon juice over the top (optional), and gently fold through the blueberries. Using a spoon, fill the muffin cups with the french toast mix (about 3 tablespoons per muffin hole). Set aside and make your streusel:
To make Streusel:
Combine the sugar and flour in a small bowl; cut in butter using a metal fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins. Top with extra blueberries.
Bake muffins 20-30 minutes, or until streusel on top has turned golden in colour. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan 5 minutes, or they may fall apart when taken out too soon.
Serve straight away with maple syrup.