For a delicious cobbler topping for casseroles, remove the scones from the oven when they are 2/3 cooked, cool and freeze. Arrange the frozen scones the casserole and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- 225 g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 40 g butter or margarine
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 75 g mature Cheddar cheese ,grated
- Scant 150 ml milk
- Beaten egg or milk to glaze
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and mustard into a bowl.
2. Rub in the butter or margarine until the mixture resembles fi e breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the onion and Cheddar, then mix in enough milk to make a soft dough.
4. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 1 cm/ ½ inch thick.
5. Cut out 8 rounds using a 6 cm/2 ½ inch cutter, rerolling the dough as necessary.
6. Place on a greased baking tray and brush with a little egg or milk.
7. Bake in a hot oven for 12-15 minutes or until well risen and golden.
8. Cool on a wire rack.