Plain avocado toast is now a thing of the past. Bump up the protein and the flavor with this plant-based take on a BLT using smoky tempeh bacon, roasted tomatoes and toasted seeds. This is a great easy meal that can be eaten at any time of the day. The sharpness of the arugula is balanced by the sweetness of the bacon and roasted tomatoes — this dish is a soon-to-be staple in your weekly menu.
Recipe by Chad Sarno
- 1/2 the Tempeh Bacon recipe
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1 small green onion, diced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped or julienne
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup hemp and sunflower seeds, toasted
- 4 slices of whole grain bread (we love the seeded variety)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Oil spray to coat the pan
How To Prepare
- Once your have prepared your Tempeh Bacon, set it aside.
- Spray a large pan with the olive oil and add the cherry tomatoes. Sear for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and remove. Alternatively, you can roast the tomatoes on a parchment paper lined sheet pan for 12 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with half the lemon lemon, green onion, basil, chili flakes and pinch of sea salt.
- Toss the arugula gently with the teaspoon of olive oil and remaining half of the lemon.
- Toast the bread and start building your toasts. Start with the mashed avocado and layer on the tempeh bacon, cherry tomatoes, toasted seeds and dressed arugula.
- Add freshly sliced chilies to top your toast for a spicy kick.
- To increase the protein content of the dish, add or replace half the avocado with mashed white beans or hummus.
- Replace the bread with a whole grain wrap for a handheld meal (and so you can really pack in the tempeh bacon!).