Chocolate iced French Toasts covered in finely desiccated coconut and drizzled with a raspberry jam syrup for the most decadent French Toasts….ever. We’re thrilled to announce this recipe is the winner of Australia’s Best Recipes Home Cook Hero Classic Australian Competition!
Cooking time : 15minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (full fat, low fat or skim milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 slices day-old bread of choice
- 2/3 cups icing (powdered) sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of warm/boiling water
- 1/4 cup Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/2 cup desiccated/finely shredded coconut (you won’t use it all, but it helps to have this quantity to evenly coat the french toasts)
How To Prepare
Whisk eggs and milk together in a wide shallow dish. Add one piece of bread at a time to soak in the egg mix.
Heat a lightly buttered pan over medium heat. Fry each bread until golden on each side and cooked through. Repeat with each slice.
To Make the Chocolate Icing: In another shallow dish, whisk together the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Add the warm/boiling water and mix until a thick chocolate sauce-like icing forms.
Prepare a separate shallow dish with the coconut and set aside. Dip each french toast into the chocolate icing until all sides are evenly covered; allow any excess icing to drip off, then place each chocolate covered french toast into the bowl of coconut; turning to evenly cover. (Sprinkle coconut over the top to get a good coating.)
To Make the Jam Syrup: combine the jam and water in a serving jug, and whisk until a syrup forms.