A cheesy and warm dish full of comfort food. Full of flavour. Full of everything your heart desires.
- 1 red onion , chopped
- 1 red capsicum/bell pepper , washed, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow/orange capsicum/bell pepper , washed, deseeded and sliced
- 500 g | 1lb boneless , skinless chicken thigh fillets, cubed or sliced
- 1 x 310g | 10oz can corn kernels , washed and drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Salt to season (only if needed to your tastes)
- 1 can condensed tomato soup or enchilada sauce
- 2 cups grated light/low fat Mozzarella cheese , divided
- 5 regular sized flour tortillas cut in half to make 10 pieces
- 1 stem finely chopped shallots/green onions , chopped
- a handful of fresh chopped cilantro/coriander (optional), shredded
How To Prepare
Preheat oven to 200C | 390F.
Pan fry onion and capsicums/peppers in on a nonstick pan/skillet until onion becomes transparent. Add the chicken and fry until browned. Pour the tomato soup/sauce over the chicken, reduce heat, cover pan and allow to simmer until chicken begins to soften (about 20 minutes). Add corn, stock powder, cumin, garlic and paprika, and stir through mixture.
Once chicken is cooked, begin to layer your enchilada bake!
Spoon 1/3 of the chicken enchilada sauce into the base of an oven proof baking/ casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/3 of the grated cheese over the chicken. Place 5 halves of the tortillas over the cheese, overlapping them to cover as much of the cheese as possible. Repeat layer with chicken/sauce, cheese, and tortillas; with the final layer of chicken/sauce topped with remaining cheese.
Change oven settings to grill/broil on medium heat and place dish into the oven. Bake until cheese has melted and browned!
Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with shallots/green onions, cilantro/coriander and a dollop of sour cream.