Simple Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry prepared and cooked in minutes with no marinading needed! Crunchy green broccoli and tender crispy chicken stir fried in a beautifully flavoured teriyaki sauce. A hint of garlic adds a twist on a traditional Japanese inspired dish. Better than any teriyaki sauce found in a bottle.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 broccoli heads. cut into florets
- 1 green capsicum/bell pepper. cut into wedges
- 1 cup sugar snap/snow peas
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 500 g | 1lbs chicken thigh fillets, skinless and boneless, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (or corn flour) mixed with 2 teaspoons water ONLY if needed
- 1 shallot/green onion stem , sliced to garnish
How To Prepare
Stir fry onion, broccoli, capsicum/peppers and sugar snap peas with 1 tablespoon of oil until just starting to turn vibrant in colour. Add 2 tablespoons of water, reduce heat to medium, and stir fry until cooked to your liking (tender-crisp). Remove vegetables from pan and set aside. Alternatively, steam vegetables until cooked to your liking.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat sesame oil over medium heat in the same pan. Stir fry chicken, stirring occasionally until lightly browned and crisp.
In a small jug or bowl whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Mirin and garlic to combine. Add sauce to the chicken and cook while stirring occasionally, until it bubbles and thickens into a beautiful shiny glaze. (If the sauce has not thickened, quickly whisk in the cornstarch/water mixture and continue stirring until thickened.
Garnish with green onion (or shallot) slices and serve over steamed rice.