This 30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup is delicious and easy to make. Tender chicken, black beans, and hearty Tex-Mex vegetables together in the perfect comfort food for busy chilly evenings.
Cooking time: 20minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion , diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper , diced
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce (passata)
- 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 7 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (or use canned)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 cups tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- 2 medium avocados , diced
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
How To Prepare
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in onion and bell pepper and saute 5 minutes. Add in garlic, chili powder, cumin, and paprika and toast for 60 seconds.
Pour in chicken broth, add in chicken breasts, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove cooked chicken from soup, shred with a fork, and return to the pot.
Pour in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, and corn. Return soup to a simmer and let simmer 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt, to taste. Serve hot, topped with tortilla strips, diced avocado, cheese, and sour cream.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
You can add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the lime and cilantro. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Shred the chicken and add lime juice and cilantro just before serving.