- 1 x 500g | 1lbs packet penne pasta (or any pasta)
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 tablespoons light butter of choice
- 1 onion , sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed or minced
- 500 g | lbs skinless chicken breast tenders , cubed
- 1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree(canned or fresh, steamed until soft)
- 2 cups skim | low fat milk
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- Salt to season
How To Prepare
Boil pasta in a large pot of salted water according to packet directions, until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the water for later use.
Heat a large pan over medium heat and add butter. As soon as it starts to fry and sizzle, add onion and cook until transparent. Add the garlic, and fry until garlic becomes fragrant (about a minute). Add the chicken and stir it through the onion and garlic. Cook until chicken changes in colour. Add the pumpkin and milk, continuously stirring until it combines and begins to simmer and thicken.
Add the broccoli and parmesan cheese, stock powder and salt. Mix well and cook until chicken has cooked through and broccoli is cooked to your liking. Pour the reserved pasta water into the pan in 1/4 cup increments, stirring between each addition, until you gain the consistency you like. (If you need too, add a little extra milk for a thinner sauce).
Gently stir the pasta through the sauce and serve with extra parmesan cheese!