Buffalo wings are pure, unadulterated, crispy, greasy, hot & vinegary nuggets of awesome. … The Ultimate Extra-Crispy Double-Fried Confit Buffalo Wings. Digging into the awesome world of our favorite fried food.
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 dozen chicken wings
- 2 quarts lard
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon roasted and chopped jalapeno
- 2 lemons, split
- To make the cure, mix the kosher salt, brown sugar and chili flakes together. Rub on the wings, and let cure in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Once the wings have cured, place the wings in deep pan, cover with lard and place parchment over top. Place in the oven until the meat begins to pull away from bone, at least 6 hours.
- Pull the wings from the confit fat and let cool.
- Preheat a deep-fryer to 400 degrees F. Fry the wings until golden brown and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- While the wings are cooking, build your sauce. Crush the garlic in bowl, and then add the scallions and jalapeno. Squeeze the juice of the lemons into the bowl and mix.
- Once wings are crispy, toss with the sauce and taste for salt (be sure not to pre-salt the sauce due to the cure on the wings).