Healthy chicken and veggies loaded with italian spices and baked in foil packet. This simple recipe transforms chicken into a meal you’d love to have everyday!
- 2 large (16 ounces total; 1 pound) chicken breasts, sliced horizontally to get 4 even 4-ounce pieces
- 2 cups baby potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, cut into rings
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon EACH: dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH onion powder, dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional: fresh lemon, fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the grill to high or the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice the chicken breasts horizontally to get 4 pieces. Pound the pieces to even thickness.
- Make sure each piece is 4 ounces.
- Prep the veggies: half or quarter baby red potatoes (you want pretty small pieces so they’ll cook in the same time as everything else). Thinly slice the green bell pepper, cut the onion into rings, and cut the carrots into 1/8th inch thick matchsticks.
- In a very large bowl, add the chicken, potatoes, bell pepper, onion rings, carrots, and minced garlic.
- Pour the olive oil over everything and then all of the seasonings: the dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and red pepper flakes if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste (I add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 of pepper, but do it to your preference).
- Toss all of the ingredients together to ensure everything is well coated in the seasonings and olive oil.
- Set out 4 large sheets of foil. Divide the mixture evenly among the foil making sure each foil pack gets 1 chicken piece.
- Seal the foil and grill on high heat for 15-25 minutes (large variance based on different grills/heat; my grill had these finished at 20 minutes) or in the oven for 30-45 minutes (again; large variance based on your oven temperature and how ingredients are prepared) or until the chicken is completely cooked through (registers 165 degrees F).