Sotangon is a type of noodles, which is produced from so-called mung beans, that is sometimes called peas of mung beans. It differs from other kinds of noodles because of its more neutral taste, which simultaneously means that the products combined with it should be bright enough. Also, it has no color.
To be in short, it is almost transparent (not without reason, here and there it is called «glass» one) — but, however, only in dry form. In the boiling condition the product lose its transparency and become matte and reddish a bit, thanks to the natural dye, represented by annato seeds, and covered with pieces of sauce.
List of required products:
- 300 g of bean noodles;
- 400 g fillets of chicken legs;
- 5 cup chicken broth;
- 50 g of dried mushrooms;
- 1 average onion;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 2 stalks of green onion;
- 2 tbsp. oil infused on annato seeds;
- 1 tbsp. of fish sauce;
- freshly ground black pepper.
Begin to cook
- Prepare the noodles according to the instructions on the package. Most often the noodles need to be soaked in water at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Shiitake has to be filled with warm water and left for 30 minutes. After they swell, remove the hard legs, cut the caps into slices.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Onions have to be cleaned and peeled. After that cut them in halves and cut into thin half rings.
- Garlic is crushed, peeled and chopped. Finely chop the green onions.
- In the wok, heat the oil, fry the chicken in medium heat to a crispy crust appearance on all sides. As a rule it takes 5 minunes. Then put everything on the plate with the help of the skimmer.
- In the wok put the onions and fry, stirring, until golden brown hint appearance. Usually it takes not more than 7-8 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for another 1 minute.
- Pour inside the broth of room temperature, scratch the walls of the wok as well as its bottom in order to separate all the grills. Add the fish sauce and bring to a boiling condition.
- Take the noodles out of the water and put them into the boiling broth. Immediately add chopped shiitake. When all the liquid is absorbed into the noodles, remove the wok from the fire and try the noodles. If it is still too hard, top up a little water and cook it.
- Add chicken, spring onions, salt and pepper, mix. Warm up and serve immediately.
By the way
In order to prepare an oil (it can be also called aciote), drawn on the seeds of annato, take refined vegetable oil without a smell and pour it into a saucepan. Add crushed peeled garlic cloves, chili (with or without seeds), bay leaves and annato seeds. Warm up almost to a boiling condition, remove from heat and let it brew. As a rule it takes 2 hours. Then strain. Calculate that for 200 ml of oil you will need 3 tbsp. seeds, 1 bay leaf, 4 cloves of garlic and 1 small chili pepper. Store this oil in the fridge.