- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C / Gas 4.
- First make the stuffing. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan, add the chorizo and fry for about 3 minutes until turning golden. Add the onion and cook for a minute or two until softened, then add the garlic. Cook for a further couple of minutes before adding the leaves from 3 thyme sprigs. Stir in the cannellini beans, seasoning well. Cook for a minute or two to warm through. Add the tomatoes and a couple of tablespoons of the oil they are stored in. Stir to combine, then remove from the heat.
- Now prepare the chicken. Season the cavity with salt and pepper, then fill with the chorizo stuffing and place a whole lemon at the cavity. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil, sprinkle over the paprika and season with salt and pepper. Rub into the chicken skin.
- Pour the wine and about 200ml of water into a roasting tray and season. Add the chicken and the remaining sprigs of thyme, then cover with foil and roast for 1 hour in the preheated oven.
- After 1 hour, remove the foil from the chicken, baste with the roasting juices and turn the oven up to 200 ° C / Gas 6. Roast for another 25-30 minutes until the skin is clear . Remove from the oven and rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Remove the lemon from the chicken cavity, and squeeze the juice into the pan juices. Whisk together to create a light gravy — if you prefer a thicker gravy, reduce over a high heat.