Just when you thought it wasn’t safe to go anywhere near pastry, along comes this healthier, low carb recipe. Almond Peach Pie with Vanilla Bean Mascarpone Cream.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 4 tablespoons sweetener or white granulated sugar (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter , diced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (apple cider)
- 2 large ripe peaches , pitted, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sweetener or white granulate sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Slivered almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoons confectioners sweetener (or icing sugar) — adjust to your level of preferred sweetness)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
How To Prepare
Combine the almond flour, sweetener or sugar (if using) and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the diced butter and pulse only a couple of times to evenly disperse the butter until the mix resembles fine crumbs. Add the egg and vinegar, pulsing a few times until a dough forms. Turn out into a bowl; knead gently to create a mound; wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
In a small bowl mix the sliced peaches, vanilla and sweetener (or sugar).
Preheat the oven to 190°C | 385°. Line a baking try with parchment/baking paper.
Remove dough from the refrigerator once chilled and press out with your hands onto the baking tray (into a circle or rectangular shape) to desired size, about 1/4-inch thick. (Don’t roll it. It’s not as pliable as flour dough. Don’t worry about being neat, rustic looks good too!)
Arrange the peaches in the centre of your dough, leaving 1 1/2-inches of dough surrounding the peaches. Gently fold up the outside border around the peaches, pressing and moulding it with your finger tips as you go. Brush the top of the crust with the melted butter; sprinkle with the almonds,
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the dough changes to a deep golden colour and the fruits juices are bubbling.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve with the Mascarpone cream
Beat the mascarpone, cream, sweetener (or sugar) and vanilla together with an electric mixer until thick.